Extended residence permit status for pensioners in Bulgaria
For the retired foreigners, Bulgaria provides the easiest ground for obtaining an extended stay residence permit status, without requiring neither kinship nor economic connections with the country or previously agreements with the Ministry. The permit for extended residence stay in the country could be received by any foreigner – a pensioner, who has enough funds to live in the country. The process consists of 2 stages:
In order to enter Bulgaria with the purpose to obtain an extended residence stay, will have to apply for a long-stay visa “D”.
For this reason except the standard package of documents, required to apply for a visa, the foreigner – pensioner has to submit at the Embassy or Consulate of the Republic of Bulgaria in their country the following documents (the original and two copies of each statement):
1. Application form for visa in two copies.
2. Passport, which has a validity of minimum three months after the end of the trip (it is necessary to make a copy of the first page).
3. Two colour photographs on a light background with dimensions 3,5 x4,5.
4. Tickets reservation.
5. Medical Insurance Cover, valid for the countries of Europe for the entire duration of the trip. The insurance cover should not be less than 30 000 Euro.
6. A place to live during the stay in the country. A Notary deed for an apartment/house in Bulgaria in case of a purchase of a real estate. Or notarized lease contract if they do not own a property.
7. Proof of the financial and social security during the stay in the country. It is necessary to open a bank account in a Bulgarian bank and to bring 1-1.5 thousand Euro per person. A statement from the bank for the availability of this money has to be presented before the Embassy.
8. Applicants, who are 18 years old, except those with no citizenship, must provide a criminal record certificate in original and a certified translation.
9. Confirmation of the pension status from the competent authority in Russia (as a rule, the pension fund), which proves that you are retired and receive a pension (a translation in Bulgarian for the receipt of the pension for the last three months).
The costs include – the fee for processing the documents for obtaining a visa “D” (4,400 rubles) legalization/a certificate for the legal force of the document on the territory of another country/ and translation into Bulgarian, statement for the receipt of the pension, criminal record and pension certification. The best way is to use the services of a certified translator in the Embassies and Consulates of Bulgaria.
According to the law, the time for the issuance of the visa type “D” is minimum 30 days. During the high season will have to wait several months.
Stage 2 – Receipt of an extended residence permit
After the receipt of the visa type “D”, which is issued for a period of six months, the foreigner is obliged to enter into Bulgaria and submit to the Migration Service at the location of his future residence new package of documents in Bulgarian, confirming all the grounds for obtaining the typed of residence. It is better to start earlier the application for the extended stay permit.
For the issuance of the extended residence permit it is necessary to provide the same package of documents as the one, presented for the visa type “D”, except the air tickets. It is necessary to make a medical insurance in Bulgaria for a period one year. The amount of the cover depends on the type of the policy: from 100 levs per year for the “basic package” up to 1500 levs – full coverage.
The extended residence permit is issued for 7 working days. Upon receipt of the passport with the stamp it is necessary to apply for an identity card. This can be done either with a quick service (7 days) or an ordinary service (30 days). Respectively the prices are – 90 and 45 levs.
The costs for obtaining the extended stay residence permit in Bulgaria include – governmental fee (the stamp in the passport) – 500 levs (€ 250) for a year, statements from the bank – 40 levs, notary services, translator, lawyer, the cost of the compulsory medical insurance and the fee for the identity card. The costs may reach 1,000 levs.
After a long examination of the documents, presented before the Migration Service, the latter issues to the pensioner the long-term stay residence permit in Bulgaria.
You will be able to get an extended residence permit issued for 6 months or for 1 year. After the expiry of the validity of the permit, the foreigner is able to extend it every year, until the 5th year and after the 5th year he is entitled to receive a long-term stay residence permit in Bulgaria.